Friday, July 17, 2015

Review of Beautiful Lessons by Author's S. Moose and Rebecca Brooke #YA, #ContemporaryRomance, #BookReview







Beautiful Lessons 

by Author's S. Moose and Rebecca Brooke
Published:  March 1, 2015
Publisher:  Amazon
Length:  301 pages
Genre:  YA Romance/Coming of Age

Available:  AmazonUS  |  AmazonCA  |  AmazonUK  |  Amazon AU  |  B&N  |  iBooks  |  Kobo





"Sometimes falling in love can't keep us from falling apart."

Synopsis:

For Jayceon Ashworth, he's lucky to make it through the day without the torment and aggravation. Pushing aside the taunting, he focuses on football and art until Seona Fisher crashes into his life.


Seona Fisher gets a second chance. Moving to College Station, Texas to be with her brother, Travis, is something she needs to escape the demons of her past. Starting over is never easy. Letting go of old habits is hard, but seeing his green eyes changes her world.



A friendship turns into them both wanting one another, and neither of them able to fight their feelings. But when the demons of darkness come back, Seona has to find her way through and back into Jayceon's arms.




My Review:


Cue the flowers. Cue the music. Open the scene with the teenage lovers running towards each other, arms outstre-CUT! And GAG!

Let's try this again with a bit less syrup. The primary characters in BEAUTIFUL LESSONS are Seona, a teenage girl who has had a tough go of it with no Mom and an abusive Dad she has run from, and Jayceon, a young man who has everything yet is bullied and mocked at school. The story takes place during their senior year of High School in College Station, TX and the real questions are what Beautiful Lessons can be learned from what occurs in that last year of high school in watching and experiencing Seona and Jayceon's story?

When reading this book, I found it important for me to remember a few things.
  1. This book was written by two authors. I am in the process of writing a book myself and that is a challenge all by itself. I cannot imagine how challenging it would be to write one story along with another author, where you are blending thoughts and ideas and trying to make them flow seamlessly as one.
  2. This book is about TEENAGERS. To read it I had to put myself back into my teenage frame of mind. If I tried to use my 50 yr old (yes, I'm all but 50. Don't laugh. Ha! I saw that snicker. ;) ) logic to reason out why Seona did something or why Jayceon made a choice -- oh wait he's a male - No understanding that logic. LOL. Back to trying to interpret a 17 yr old's behavior from my 50 yo point of view, its not going to make sense. When it makes no sense to me, then and I would begin to think this book is poorly written and it's not at all. So see why this is important to remember? I knew you would!


Okay, back to my review. I must say, keeping those things in mind, the authors did a fantastic job of placing us inside the minds, hearts and feelings of teenagers. Remember how love is all consuming to you at that age and every waking moment is spent either with your significant other or talking about, daydreaming about or just somehow thinking about them? That was exactly what occurred with Jayceon and Seona. Everything was related somehow to either a memory of their time spent together, wondering what the other one was doing right at that precise moment or pondering what they would do together as soon as they were back together again. And the authors managed to progress the story within that teenage love bubble. Incredibly well done Ladies, incredibly well done!

I found the storyline to also be unpredictable, which I enjoyed and while there was teenage drama and angst, there was not copious amounts of time spent on it. There was some partying but it made up only a small portion of the story and when it came to intimacy, it was tastefully handled and basically we were there for a short and appropriate bit of foreplay then the rest was closed door. Again, Kudos Ladies.  

I really found very little I did not like about BEAUTIFUL LESSONS. I only had one thing and it may not bother others the way it did me. When I choose my books, covers play a HUGE role in my selection process and this book has a lovely cover. However, I felt that the cover and the names of the characters and the descriptions of the characters clashed. They clashed enough that it was a constant interruption to my reading throughout probably the first 2/3s of the book. Nevertheless, I persevered with my reading. It is a Romance and there is a HEA or at least HFN at the end and that made me smile for some time after closing my Kindle. I would happily encourage anyone who loves YA Romances to pick up a copy of BEAUTIFUL LESSONS and give it a read. I know I saw a few good lessons learned there and I bet you will too.


****4 STARS****

**2 FLAMES**





Meet the Authors:

S.Moose is a New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author, living in Webster, NY with her family, friends, and shorkie, Charlie.


A 2011 St. John Fisher graduate, S.Moose loves to read and write. She enjoys getting lost in the fictional world and creating a place where readers can fall in love and swoon over the cute boys she brings to life. When she isn't in her room in front of her computer or a book, she is with her family and friends being silly and enjoying life. She's romantic at heart and loves anything with a happily ever after. 



S.Moose loves connecting with her readers! Be sure to visit her at:


smoosewrites.blogspot.com
Email: smoose0609@yahoo.com
Facebook: facebook.com/S.Mooseauthor
Twitter: twitter.com/S_Moose060912
Instagram: instagram.com/s_moose0609 


Rebecca lives near the shore towns of New Jersey, with her husband and two kids. When she's not writing she loves reading and watching SOA and TrueBlood.

Website  |  Facebook | Email: RebeccaBrookeAuthor@gmail.com





I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.




No comments:

Post a Comment